Updated Jul 2, 2004
Bucket Leak Test.
The purpose of the test is to determine if the water lose from the pool caused by natural evaporation or a leak.This test is easy to perform all you need is:
- Clean empty bucket (5 gallon or larger, light color preferably white)
- Marker / Pencil
- Tape measure / ruler
- Fill the bucket about half way with pool water and mark the bucket water level inside the bucket.
- Set the bucket in the pool either on the step of the or on the edge of the pool.
- mark outside the bucket the pool water level.
- Start the pump and let it run during the test.
- Leave the bucket for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours measure both water level to both marks(pool water level to yesterdays pool level mark, bucket water level to yesterdays level mark)
- If the water level is the same in both, perform the test again, but this time with the pump off.
- if the difference of measurement in one of the tests (pump on/off) bigger by more than 1/2 inch there is most likely a leak in the system.
The daily evaporation rates varying by season From 1/8" in the winter, and anywhere from 1/4" - 1/2" in the summer
Bucket test results: what can they tell me?